The President and Chief Executive of Dangote Industries Limited, Aliko Dangote, has for the seventh year in a row, been adjudged as the richest man in Africa with a net worth that Forbes pegged at $12.2bn for 2017.
This is an increase of $100 million from his worth when the assessment was done by the influential magazine last year.
“The commodities tycoon is obviously looking beyond cement – his most valuable asset – and has been investing in a fertilizer production company and a large oil refinery,” Forbes said.
Number two on the list is diamond mining heir Nicky Oppenheimer of South Africa, with a net worth of $7.7 billion, up $700 million from last year. Oppenheimer is one of 8 South Africans on the list, making it the African country with the most billionaires.
Dangote was recently the only African selected among Bloomberg’s world 50 best persons in the year 2017.
While the names of notable Nigerians were dropped from the billionaires’ list, Globacom Chairman, Mike Adenuga, with a net worth of $5.8bn, was adjudged the fifth richest man in Africa and Folorunsho Alakija, also a Nigerian, whose estimated $1.6bn fortune is in oil exploration, was adjudged as the 15th richest person on the continent.
Meanwhile, Bill Gates maintained his position as the richest in the world with a net worth of $86bn, while Warren Buffet and Jeff Bezos were second and third, respectively with net worth of $75.6bn and $72.8bn.
#1 Aliko Dangote $12.2 B 60 cement, sugar, flour
#2 Nicky Oppenheimer $7.7 B 72 diamonds
#3 Johann Rupert $7.2 B 67 luxury goods
#4 Nassef Sawiris $6.8 B 56 construction, chemicals
#5 Mike Adenuga $5.3 B 64 telecom, oil
#6 Issad Rebrab $4 B 74 food
#6 Naguib Sawiris $4 B 63 telecom
#8 Koos Bekker $2.8 B 65 media, investments
#9 Isabel dos Santos $2.7 B 44 investments
#9 Mohamed Mansour $2.7 B 69 diversified
#11 Patrice Motsepe $2.4 B 55 mining
#12 Aziz Akhannouch $2.2 B 57 petroleum, diversified
#13 Yasseen Mansour $1.9 B 56 diversified
#14 Strive Masiyiwa $1.7 B 56 telecom
#15 Folorunsho Alakija $1.6 B 67 oil
#15 Othman Benjelloun $1.6 B 85 banking, insurance
#17 Mohammed Dewji $1.5 B 42 diversified
#18 Youssef Mansour $1.4 B 72 diversified
#19 Michiel Le Roux $1.2 B 68 banking
#19 Stephen Saad $1.2 B 53 pharmaceuticals
#21 Desmond Sacco $1.1 B 75 mining
#21 Onsi Sawiris $1.1 B 88 construction, telecom
#21 Christoffel Wiese $1.1 B 76 retail
Latest Nigeria News
- Interesting Seriousness Quotes To Help You Succeed This Year
- Food Lovers Market: Everything You Need To Know
- 7 New Year Resolutions For Africans Who Love Africa
- Top 5 Unpleasant Things You Should Never Do On A First Date
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku