The Nigeria Internet Registration Association (NIRA) said on Friday that 101,695 domain names existed in the country’s domain registry as at 2017, up from 76,907 names recorded in 2016.
The president of NIRA, Sunday Folayan, made this known in a statement on Friday.
Mr. Folayan said that in December 2017, 5,547 domain names were recorded, showing a decrease of 753, as against 6,300 domain names recorded in November.
According to him, of the 5,547 domain names in December, 3,560 were new registration, 1,917 were domain name renewal, while 70 were transfer of domain names.
He said that of the 6,300 domain names recorded in November, 3,974 were fresh registration, 2,280 were for renewal and 46 were for transfer.
“We noted a slowdown in fresh registrations and renewal of .ng domain names from November to December 2017.
“The general slowdown could be attributed to many reasons, including consumer spending slowdown and focusing on essentials.
“The total number of active .ng domain names in December 2016 was 76,907 while by December 2017, the number of active domain names had grown to 101,695,’’ Mr. Folayan said.
He said there was the need for Nigerians to adopt the Nigeria’s country code Top Level Domain (ccTLD), which is the “dotng (.ng)”.
The NIRA president said that .ng is the official ccTLD approved for Nigeria by the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) for the Internet and was like Nigeria’s currency, the Naira.
He said that the availability of names was better on the .ng ccTLD than on the generic Top Level Domain (gTLD) like .com, .org.
Mr. Folayan said that hosting businesses on the .ng would help to support the Nigerian economy and provide jobs for local Information Technology professionals. (NAN)
Latest Nigeria News
- Interesting Seriousness Quotes To Help You Succeed This Year
- Food Lovers Market: Everything You Need To Know
- 7 New Year Resolutions For Africans Who Love Africa
- Top 5 Unpleasant Things You Should Never Do On A First Date
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku