A customary court in Igando, Lagos, on Thursday awarded N1 million to a woman, Abimbola Olajumoke, after dissolving her 12-year-old marriage with her husband, Gbolahan.
Akin Akinniyi, the court president, said the union had broken down irredeemably, and said the woman should use the money as ‘severance package’ and rental fee for a new apartment.
Gbolahan Olajumoke had filed for the divorce in July last year on the ground that he no longer loved his wife due to her frequent fighting, lack of respect, fetishism, among others.
But the court referred the couple to its IDR Section as a means of resolving the differences in the marriage.
Months later, Mrs. Olajumoke told the court that they had resolved their differences, while the husband insisted that nothing had changed.
“We lived in a family house in Ikorodu and my wife was always fighting with members of my family. We left the family house because of that and moved to a rented two bed room apartment,” Mr. Olajumoke said.
“She continued with her fighting manner to the point of fighting the landlady which led to our being given a quit notice.
“She is also fetish. There was a day she called me and confessed of adding love portion into my ‘ewedu’ soup. She told me her mother gave her the love potion. Ever since I ate it, things have not being going well with me. So I had to pack out of the house to avoid being killed.
“She goes out at will. There was a time I ‘carried’ her in my car and her bag was filled with clothes. When I confronted her, she said her mother sent her to Epe. There was another time she went to market at Lagos Island and did not come back home. She claimed that the holdup was much.”
Mrs. Olajumoke, 49, from Ibeju Lekki, Lagos, denied all the allegations, saying she never stopped loving her husband and pleaded with the court not to dissolve their union.
“We have never fought before. There had been unsettled quarrels between my husband and members of her extended family. So I was only fighting them to protect my husband,” she said.
“We moved to a rented house. I was having issues with the landlady because my husband confided in me that the woman wanted going out with my husband. That is why she was always picking quarrels with me.
“His claim that I added love potion to his food was not true. I have never told him that I added love potion to his ewedu soup. His health only went bad because of the distance between where we lived and his place of work.
“I don’t see any reason for leaving him. I still love him. I still live in our matrimonial home with our three children at Ijoko. But if the court must grants his request, I plead the court leave me and children to continue living in our matrimonial home.”
While delivering judgement, Mr. Akinniyi, said the marriage had pitfalls because they exposed it to members of their extended family adding that the marriage has broken down irredeemably.
“Both of you have ceased to be husband and wife. You both should go your separate ways and any scuffle between you shall be treated as criminal.
“The respondent must return the dowry paid on her. While the petitioner must make available the sum of N500,000 as severance package and another N500,000 to rent a decent apartment for the respondent. The respondent will continue to live in the matrimonial home until the money is made available.”
“If any of you is not satisfied with this judgement, (he or she) has the right to appeal within 30 days of judgement,” Mr.Akinniyi said.
After the judgement, the petitioner Mr. Olajumoke protested that he did not have the sum.
“Where will I get N1million from,” he was overheard asking.
Latest Nigeria News
- Interesting Seriousness Quotes To Help You Succeed This Year
- Food Lovers Market: Everything You Need To Know
- 7 New Year Resolutions For Africans Who Love Africa
- Top 5 Unpleasant Things You Should Never Do On A First Date
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku