The detained leader of a Nigerian Shiites group, Ibraheem El-Zakzaky, is alive but seriously ill, his lawyer has said.
The lawyer, Femi Falana, was responding to rumours of Mr. El-Zakzaky’s death, more than two years after he was detained by the Nigerian government.
Rumours of the death of the leader of the Islamic Movement in Nigeria spread on the social media on Friday, hours after the latest rounds of protests by his followers, demanding his release, held in Abuja.
Mr. El-Zakzaky and his wife have been detained without trial since December 2015.
They sustained gunshot wounds during their arrests, his lawyer said.
Mr. Falana said the bullet in Mr. El-Zakzaky’s wife’s body is yet to be removed.
“Clinically he (El-Zakzaky) is not dead yet. But he is very very sick,” Mr. Falana said.
“He has lost an eye, he is in the process of losing the other one. He has developed stroke in detention.
“Bullets in the wife’s body have not been removed since 2015,” he added.
He accused the government of violating the fundamental rights of the detainees.
“Regulation 12 of the Prisons Act that law has been there since 1917; even convicts can be handed over to their families for treatment when the state can no longer provide such,” he said.
A Federal High Court in Abuja in December 2016 ordered the release of Mr. Zakzaky and his wife. The government refused to obey the order.
Members of the IMN group have been staging series of processions across the northern states demanding the release of their leader and his wife.
‘El-Zakzaky is alive and stable’
Meanwhile, a security source quoted by PRNigeria, a platform that circulates statements from security agencies, claimed on Friday that Mr. El-Zakzaky was “alive and stable”.
“As I am speaking to you now Sheikh ElZakzaky and his wife are alive and stable.
“They observe their regular prayers and are in stable condition.
“The peddlers of rumours claiming he is dead are mischievous, undesirable elements engaging in the antics for ulterior motives.
“While it is out of place to say more than this, Sheikh Zakzaky and his wife are accorded respects and some privileges including occasional communication.
“Therefore the message being circulated to the effect that there would violence as a result of his death is unfounded and misleading and should be disregarded,” the source said.
Latest Nigeria News
- Interesting Seriousness Quotes To Help You Succeed This Year
- Food Lovers Market: Everything You Need To Know
- 7 New Year Resolutions For Africans Who Love Africa
- Top 5 Unpleasant Things You Should Never Do On A First Date
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku