A Tinubu Chief Magistrates’ Court on Friday ordered that a 34-year-old man be remanded in Ikoyi prison for allegedly assaulting his wife, Bukola, and biting off the tip of her nose.
Bisi Adebiosu, who resides at No. 34 Verimacqueen Str., Lagos Island, is facing a two-count charge of domestic violence and assault occasioning harm.
The prosecutor, Nurudeen Thomas, told the court that the accused committed the offences on January 9 at the couple’s resident.
He said that on the said day, the accused beat his wife, an auxiliary nurse and a mother of two, and bit off the tip of her nose.
He said that the couple, who got married in 2007, started having problems when the wife got employed at a private hospital.
He told the court that the husband, who owns a boutique in front of their house, started complaining about his wife’s new dress sense to work.
“Adebiosu beats his wife and does not provide for the family,” he told the court.
Mr. Thomas said that the offences contravened sections 11(a) (b) of the Protection Against Domestic Violence Law, 2007 and the 176 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015.
While 11(a) (b) prescribes five years imprisonment with or an option of N100,000 for anyone found guilty of the charge, section 176 stipulates three-year imprisonment for offenders .
The accused, who pleaded guilty to the charge of assault, however, said he was not guilty to the charge of domestic violence.
He told the court that he mistakenly bit off his wife’s nose in anger.
The accused told the court that on the day in question, he got home and met his children crying and when he asked the whereabouts of their mother, he was told she was at a party two houses away.
“I met my wife finishing off her fourth bottle of Stout in the midst of men; I had to force her home and during the struggle I mistakenly bite her nose.
“I do the best I can to take of our family but my wife does not give me the respect that I deserve as her husband”, he said.
The Chief Magistrate, Kikelomo Ayeye, however, remanded the accused at Ikoyi prison and adjourned the case until February 12 for further hearing.
Latest Nigeria News
- Interesting Seriousness Quotes To Help You Succeed This Year
- Food Lovers Market: Everything You Need To Know
- 7 New Year Resolutions For Africans Who Love Africa
- Top 5 Unpleasant Things You Should Never Do On A First Date
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku