Nigerians on social media have been reacting to the killings in Benue State by suspected Fulani herdsmen.
The assailants attacked communities in Guma and Logo local government areas of the state on January 1 and 2, leaving scores dead and injured.
On Thursday residents of Makurdi were thrown into mourning as victims of the attacks were given a mass burial.
The massacre which left over 50,000 displaced in Benue and another 18,000 people displaced in Nasarawa State has drawn widespread criticisms with various people sharing diverse reactions.
A Twitter user Ogazi Samuel said “Looking at #BenueMourns, I understand why it can be hard for Nigerians to be empathetic when our National leader is sick or has a hospitalised son. Was there even any FG representation at the mass burial? Nigeria would never forget!”
Another twitter user, Oke Umurhohwo said “If the FG cannot stop or arrest those behind the killings; in two weeks, we shall raise an army of our own. We cannot allow people to colonise us again, we have all it takes to do that.” – Wantaregh Unongo, TIV leader and chairman of the Northern Elders Forum #BenueMourns”.
Though the Governor of Benue state, Samuel Ortom called for harmony among the diverse ethnic groups in the state, the dastardly act has continued to generate fury among Nigerians from various works of life.
Read more reactions here:
Those #BenueMourns pictures made me all teary… This country is depressing Walahi ????????♂️
— Olayinka Ahmed (@GalacticoHD) January 12, 2018
Their offense was “being Nigerians”. #BenueMourns.
— The Human Catalyst (@ERNALzz) January 12, 2018
Dear @MBuhari today we mourn our people who were killed by the marauding herdsmen, this should've been averted if your government was responsible enough. Posterity shall judge you for your ineffectiveness in handling this crisis. #BenueMourns #BenueLivesMatter pic.twitter.com/uL98MqMMOM
— Ka (@Kuma_Tor) January 11, 2018
I just viewed some pictures from #BenueMourns and my eyes are flooded with tears and my heart burning with anger.
This Government is using sentiments to gamble with the lives of its citizens and it's too bad! These Fulani Herdsmen are Terrorists and should be treated as such!
— Umeh and 99 others (@UmehOMA) January 11, 2018
See all the coffins. The President did not seem it to attend the burial. No single arrest made. This is not the first or the second time.@MBuhari @NGRSenate @HouseNGR @YakubDogara @segalink @channelstv @GuardianNigeria @MobilePunch @UN @realalu #BenueMourns #FulaniHerdsmen pic.twitter.com/AIyKc2QAaf
— Valentine Utulu (@ValentineUtulu) January 12, 2018
And they are laid to rest, the YUSUF'S OF their families,Bread winners,mothers ,wives, #BenueMourns #BlackThursdayForBenue .
Enough is enough -Paul Unongo.
We are pushed to the wall -Gov. Ortom.
Even a goat can bit if caged- Tor Tiv .@AishaYesufu @realFFK @segalink @ShehuSani pic.twitter.com/x9PwDvz8pP
— Solomon Amande (@SolomonAmande) January 11, 2018
"Let me warn, if the Nigerian nation cannot protect us, we will raise an army of one million people who will defend us."
– Wantaregh Paul Unongo at the requiem mass for the deceased as #BenueMourns
— Callings (@CollinsUma) January 11, 2018
Scenes from the Burial of those killed by Fulani Herdsmen Terrorists.
See how lives have been wasted.
The families of the deceased are in our thoughts and prayers.#BenueMourns pic.twitter.com/YOKxuGSbvj
— Babasola Kuti (@SKSolaKuti) January 11, 2018
Five full trailers loaded with corpse, 73 dead people! Meanwhile, our president seats comfortably in Abuja. Our killer's go live on news channels telling the world while they attacked and are still walking free.
Benue will never forget, we will never forget. #BenueMourns https://t.co/ilmlR8qHFv
— Ka (@Kuma_Tor) January 11, 2018
Images from Benue as they bury the victims of the herdsmen killings. People who had homes, families, livelihoods, dependents, kith and kin killed over nothing. Nigeria is a scary place. #BenueMourns pic.twitter.com/Njl48RpnV9
— Sarcastic Theist (@theRetweeterr_) January 11, 2018
It took @MBuhari just a few minutes to commiserate with the government & people of France after the last terrorist attack in Paris. Just imagine if same was the quick response the presidency gave to the people of Rivers & Benue on the January 1st killings.#BenueMourns pic.twitter.com/7Qff4mOZcl
— EiE Nigeria (@EiENigeria) January 12, 2018
Latest Nigeria News
- Interesting Seriousness Quotes To Help You Succeed This Year
- Food Lovers Market: Everything You Need To Know
- 7 New Year Resolutions For Africans Who Love Africa
- Top 5 Unpleasant Things You Should Never Do On A First Date
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku