Tennis superstar, Serena Williams, has revealed that she nearly died after she had her baby last September.
She said she needed an emergency C-section and that she had multiple surgeries after giving birth to daughter, Alexis Olympia.
Serena experienced a wave of medical and emotional issues after giving birth to her first child last year,she told the February issue of Vogue
The day after the operation, she fell ill and doctors found several small clots in her lungs. Then she suffered another terrifying scare when her C-section scar burst open and doctors found a large haematoma (a solid swelling of clotted blood within the tissues) had flooded her abdomen.
Serena underwent several surgeries and was unable to get out of bed for six weeks.
“That was an amazing feeling (being handed her daughter).
“And then everything went bad.”
The sports star has a history of blood clots, so she was the one who raised the alarm after she found herself feeling short of breath 24 hours after becoming a mum.
Serena was found to have a pulmonary embolism, and the coughing it caused meant her C-section wound burst open.
Because she had been taking blood-thinners to dispel the clots, the medication caused bleeding at the site of the Caesarian section.
She had to undergo another surgery, and a week later, she finally went home and found she wasn’t even able to get out of bed.
Her daughter, Alexis Olympia, was born via emergency Caesarean section due to the baby’s alarmingly low heart rate.
Little Alexis was fine after her September birth, but Williams said that “everything went bad” for her personally.
Williams ultimately needed to have a filter placed in a major vein to stop blood clots from going to her lungs.
She was not able to get out of bed for six weeks after she finally left the hospital a week after giving birth.
Williams says the experience has taken an emotional toll on her as well.
“Sometimes, I get really down and feel like, man, I can’t do this,” she confessed.
“It’s that same negative attitude I have on the court sometimes. I guess that’s just who I am. No one talks about the low moments — the pressure you feel, the incredible letdown every time you hear the baby cry.”
Williams said she has broken down frequently since becoming a mother.
“Or I’ll get angry about the crying, then sad about being angry, and then guilty, like, ‘Why do I feel so sad when I have a beautiful baby?’ The emotions are insane,” she said.
The star has won a record 23 Grand Slam titles in her illustrious career.
Latest Nigeria News
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku
- Pressure Mounts On Hubby To Dump Ini Edo
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Are Tribal Marks Still Necessary Today?