The governor of Ekiti State, Ayodele Fayose, has assured that he is still in the contest for the presidential ticket of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) ahead of the 2019 elections.
He said activities of his campaign had slowed down because of his preparations to ensure victory for his party in the coming Ekiti governorship election.
The governor spoke on Thursday during an interactive session with teachers in public primary and secondary schools in state.
Mr. Fayose had declared interest to be president on his party’s ticket despite the party’s decision to zone the presidency to the North.
Mr. Fayose said his campaign would regain its steam after the July 14 governorship election.
The governor also boasted that he would defeat Kayode Fayemi if he is picked as the candidate of the All Progressives Congress, APC.
“I am still in the presidential race, I am only waiting for the time Ekiti governorship election will hold so I can have the time,” he said.
“Though, I am making contacts, I am reaching out to the people that matter across the country.”
The governor is up against some governorship aspirants in the PDP who are aggrieved that he had endorsed his deputy, Kolapo Olusola, to succeed him.
The aspirants have also called on the party leadership to keep Mr. Fayose out of the primaries and ensure a free and fair contest.
“I have no role to play, only the NWC will present the delegate lists for them to elect the candidate, so I won’t interfere despite my support for Prof Kolapo Olusola,” Mr. Fayose said, while commenting on the primaries.
“I have no regret supporting Olusola, if it were those people I had supported, they won’t be abusing me. But they remain our brothers and sisters and we are going to put our house in order at the right time so that we can be on the same page.”
The governor urged the teachers to support Mr. Olusola the way they did to him in the June 21, 2014 governorship election.
“Don’t vote for those that will come here and sack you,” he said.
“When they sacked your colleagues in Kaduna State, an APC leader in Ekiti said it was a right step in the right direction and I believe such person is not good for Ekiti teachers.
“Prof Olusola is a man of integrity, very hardworking and dependable , he won’t betray you. He will protect your interests and I want you to support him.”
Mr. Fayose added that all the outstanding salaries. allowances , bonuses and pensions would be paid before his tenure expires.
Latest Nigeria News
- Interesting Seriousness Quotes To Help You Succeed This Year
- Food Lovers Market: Everything You Need To Know
- 7 New Year Resolutions For Africans Who Love Africa
- Top 5 Unpleasant Things You Should Never Do On A First Date
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku