Zimbabwe’s new president, Emmerson Mnangagwa, has described his perilous journey through landmine areas when he fled the country following his sacking by former president, Robert Mugabe in 2017.
The state-run Zimbabwe Herald reported on Saturday that Mr. Mnangagwa recounted previously unknown details of his “great escape” from Zimbabwe, during an official visit to Angola.
Mr. Mnangagwa, 75, fled to Mozambique after he was sacked as vice president by Mugabe, leaving the country within four hours of his ouster, fearful of a threat to his life.
“I didn’t think it was pleasurable to wait to be eliminated. I left within four hours of being fired for the Mozambican border,’’ he said.
He said that he walked for long hours and claimed there were attempts at the border to shoot him, but the attack was foiled by his son.
“He (one of his twin sons) is an officer and was able to grab the weapon and I was not shot,’’ Mr. Mnangagwa said.
The news report said once in Mozambique he flew from Beira to South Africa.
Mr. Mnangagwa ultimately returned triumphant to the country and replaced long-time ruler Mr. Mugabe after a bloodless military coup in November.
According to the news report, Mr. Mnangagwa also spoke of the attempt to poison him at an event of the ruling ZANU-PF party in 2017 and said he was airlifted to South Africa for treatment.
He had accused then first lady Grace Mugabe of having given him poison ice cream at a party.
“I am happy that last week I was declared poison free. It is now undetectable,’’ he was quoted as saying.
Latest Nigeria News
- Interesting Seriousness Quotes To Help You Succeed This Year
- Food Lovers Market: Everything You Need To Know
- 7 New Year Resolutions For Africans Who Love Africa
- Top 5 Unpleasant Things You Should Never Do On A First Date
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku