A security man and employee of First Bank Nigeria Plc, Jibowu Branch, Seyi Jaiyeola, is standing trial at a magistrate’s court in Ebute Meta for allegedly breaking the company’s automated teller machine and stealing a sum of N12, 533,900.
The bank’s branch Service Manager, Mr. Kayode Aiyewunmi, who gave evidence in court, said Jaiyeola was on a N20, 000 monthly pay and was a member of the Odua People’s Congress.
He said the company had observed that one of the bank’s four ATMs was having a reconciliation problem and had employed the service of an expert to help unravel mysterious disappearances of money.
Aiyewunmi said, “We discovered that there was always a shortage of cash in the machine.
“Despite our reconciliation efforts, the ATM was still having problems and we engaged the service of an expert who submitted his report and said the machine did not have any reconciliation issue.
“He said somebody was breaking into the machine in the middle of the night to steal the cash.
“I reported the matter to my boss, who said I should conduct an investigation into the matter. “When the last breakage happened, we went to play back the branch’s CCTV, and we now saw Jaiyeola in the middle of the night, opening the window at the back of my office. There’s a control panel which controls the security door, which he touched. So, the CCTV stopped.”
He said it was at that point the company concluded he was the brain behind the theft.
He said after the matter was reported at the Onipanu Police station, and the accused was arrested, he led them to his house, where he allegedly confessed to the crime.
Aiyewunmi said, “When we got to his house for a search, we recovered N243,945 cash. The police then asked him what else he did with the money. He said he bought a car, which was parked at the house there, a Toyota Corolla. Then we recovered a new generator. He also took the police to the building he was constructing which was near completion.” He said after recovering the item, First Bank transferred the matter to the State Criminal Investigation Department, Yaba.
Jaiyeola was arraigned on a five counts of fraud and stealing and was subsequently granted bail in the sum of N1m with two sureties in like sum.
The prosecution counsel, Mr. Ishola Samuel, asked for an adjournment to help source some legal citations.
The magistrate, Mrs. M.O Tanimola, adjourned the matter till July 15.
Latest Nigeria News
- MC Oluomo Resurfaces, Still Recovering In Hospital (Photos)
- What I Will Do As New Police Boss - IGP Adamu
- Ighalo hails ‘Extraordinary’ De Gea
- How Innocent Boy Spent 2 Years In Prison For A Crime He Didn't Commit (Photos)
- Drama As 2 Police Commissioners Resume In Lagos: "I Remain In Charge", says CP Edgal
- Update On The Deadly Attack At Kenya Hotel, Many Killed
- Kane Ruled Out Until March
- Atiku Raises Alarm: INEC Releasing PVC To APC Governors
- Single Mother Killed By Man She Followed To Hotel Room...
- New IGP Adamu Reverses Ex-IG Idris Last Minute Postings... May Save Four DIGs
- Okorocha, Six Others Summoned To APC Disciplinary Panel
- CJN Onnoghen and President Buhari Meet Face To Face
- Police Rescue Man From Committing Suicide On Lagos Bridge
- DAILY INSPIRATION FOR POSITIVE LIVING
- Watch The Trailer For ‘Spiderman: Far From Home’
- Burger King Mocks Trump Over Misspelled Tweet
- Theresa May’s Brexit Deal Voted Down In Historic Loss
- People who sleep less risk heart disease – Report
- Banks to experience low interest income in 2019
- Tbills, bonds drive 49% Fixed income & currency market turnover in 2018
- Ighalo: Why I Will Turn Down Offer To Join Tottenham
- Milan Coach, Gattuso: Higuain Not Talking About Leaving
- Terrorists Attack Luxury Hotel In Kenya
- President Buhari Decorates New Inspector General of Police
- Sagay: CJN Onnoghen’s Prosecution Shows No One Is Above The Law
- Guts Over Pain: Andy Murray Bows Out Despite Taking Roberto Bautista Agut To Five Sets
- I will turn Nigeria into a construction site – Sowore
- 'Soco' Standout, Ceeza Milli Drops Video For Latest Single, 'Na Wa'
- British Hacker Who Took Down Liberia’s Internet Sentenced To 3-Years Imprisonment
- Odion Ighalo Has Emerged As A Shocking Replacement Of Suarez At Bacelona
- Update: ASUU Strike To Linger As Lecturers Reject FG’s Offers, Make Fresh Demands
- Imo, Okoronkwo sign for top Hungarian club Ferencvarosi TC
- Osun FA inaugurates Electoral, Appeal Committees
- NFF Corruption Scandal: More waters in Pinnick’s sinking boat— Ben Memuletiwon
- Oil falls to $60 on concerns about China slowdown
- Theresa May begs MPs to back Brexit deal
- Over 22,000 candidates for 1,504 positions for 2019 elections
- Plot by Police to arrest, detain CJN Foiled
- Pele Wishes ‘Fellow No.10’ Maradona Full Recovery After Surgery
- Millennial Women: Poker’s New Wild Cards