The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) has commenced indefinite strike nationwide today, national president of ASUU, Dr Nasir Isa Fagge has said.
He made this declaration, Monday, at the University of Lagos (UNILAG) after their NEC meeting held at Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago Iwoye, Ogun State.
Speaking to news men, he said: “We are embarking on indefinite strike nation wide because the Federal Government reneged in the Memorandum of Understanding MoU signed with ASUU in 2009 to pay lecturers their earn allowance.”
According to Fagge, the Federal Government, in 2009 made a law to pay each lecturers N12,500 per month as earn allowance which it never did since 2009.
Lecturers at the University of Port Harcourt have confirmed this development stating that MEMOs and SMS have gone round to all lecturers in Nigerian versities asking them to embark on "a total and indefinite strike action from 1st July, 2013." A Professor of the University who spoke to on the condition of anonymity disclosed that ASUU has called for a meeting on Tuesday 2nd July, 2013 to officially make a public announce of this action.
Students on ground at UNIPORT expressed their dismay at the pace of incessant academic strikes in Nigeria complaining that this marks the beginning of a long time of boredom for them.
Latest Nigeria News
- MC Oluomo Resurfaces, Still Recovering In Hospital (Photos)
- What I Will Do As New Police Boss - IGP Adamu
- Ighalo hails ‘Extraordinary’ De Gea
- How Innocent Boy Spent 2 Years In Prison For A Crime He Didn't Commit (Photos)
- Drama As 2 Police Commissioners Resume In Lagos: "I Remain In Charge", says CP Edgal
- Update On The Deadly Attack At Kenya Hotel, Many Killed
- Kane Ruled Out Until March
- Atiku Raises Alarm: INEC Releasing PVC To APC Governors
- Single Mother Killed By Man She Followed To Hotel Room...
- New IGP Adamu Reverses Ex-IG Idris Last Minute Postings... May Save Four DIGs
- Okorocha, Six Others Summoned To APC Disciplinary Panel
- CJN Onnoghen and President Buhari Meet Face To Face
- Police Rescue Man From Committing Suicide On Lagos Bridge
- DAILY INSPIRATION FOR POSITIVE LIVING
- Watch The Trailer For ‘Spiderman: Far From Home’
- Burger King Mocks Trump Over Misspelled Tweet
- Theresa May’s Brexit Deal Voted Down In Historic Loss
- People who sleep less risk heart disease – Report
- Banks to experience low interest income in 2019
- Tbills, bonds drive 49% Fixed income & currency market turnover in 2018
- Ighalo: Why I Will Turn Down Offer To Join Tottenham
- Milan Coach, Gattuso: Higuain Not Talking About Leaving
- Terrorists Attack Luxury Hotel In Kenya
- President Buhari Decorates New Inspector General of Police
- Sagay: CJN Onnoghen’s Prosecution Shows No One Is Above The Law
- Guts Over Pain: Andy Murray Bows Out Despite Taking Roberto Bautista Agut To Five Sets
- I will turn Nigeria into a construction site – Sowore
- 'Soco' Standout, Ceeza Milli Drops Video For Latest Single, 'Na Wa'
- British Hacker Who Took Down Liberia’s Internet Sentenced To 3-Years Imprisonment
- Odion Ighalo Has Emerged As A Shocking Replacement Of Suarez At Bacelona
- Update: ASUU Strike To Linger As Lecturers Reject FG’s Offers, Make Fresh Demands
- Imo, Okoronkwo sign for top Hungarian club Ferencvarosi TC
- Osun FA inaugurates Electoral, Appeal Committees
- NFF Corruption Scandal: More waters in Pinnick’s sinking boat— Ben Memuletiwon
- Oil falls to $60 on concerns about China slowdown
- Theresa May begs MPs to back Brexit deal
- Over 22,000 candidates for 1,504 positions for 2019 elections
- Plot by Police to arrest, detain CJN Foiled
- Pele Wishes ‘Fellow No.10’ Maradona Full Recovery After Surgery
- Millennial Women: Poker’s New Wild Cards