Prophet Owolere Odunuga of the Celestial Church of Christ (CCC), Ibeshe District, Ikorodu, who was arrested for alleged visa fraud, has been remanded in prison custody at Kirikiri, Lagos State, southwest Nigeria.
He allegedly confessed that he used part of the money to pay his tithe, used some to pay his house rent and invested the rest in his church.
At the Ejigbo Magistrate’s Court where he was arraigned, he also told the court that immigration officials at the airport collected N60,000 per passport to stamp a fake Visa for him.
Odunuga was arrested after he allegedly defrauded a housewife, Mrs Olayemi Oluwapelumi, of N752,000 under the false pretence of procuring United States of America Visa for her.
Odunuga said he worked as travel agent before he received a call from God to start his own church.
He admitted that the Dubai and South Africa Visas stamped on Mrs. Oluwapelumi’s passport were not genuine and that they were stamped at the airport by immigration officials whom he paid the money.
Odunuga was arrested by the police when he was lured to come and collect another money for procurement of a Visa for the victim.
According to Oluwapelumi, he knew Odunuga when they were living together at Ikorodu.
She said she approached him for Visa so that she will join her husband in USA.
She said she paid part of the N752,000 into his account and gave the rest as cash to him.
Mrs. Oluwapelumi narrated that trouble started when he took her to South African Embassy in Lagos and she was denied Visa.
She alleged that he went and stamped the passport with fake Visa stamp and gave it to her to go to the embassy to apply for Visa.
She said when she wanted to travel with the Visa again, it was discovered that the stamp on the passport was fake.
Mrs Oluwapelumi then went to the police to report the matter and he was arrested and taken to the station where he allegedly confessed.
When he was arraigned before Ejigbo Magistrate’s court for obtaining and stealing under the Criminal Code, he pleaded not guilty.
The presiding Magistrate, Mr P. E. Nwaka granted him bail in the sum of N200,000 with two sureties in like sum. Odunuga was remanded in prison custody at Kirikiri till he fulfills his hail condition.
The matter was adjourned till 31 July, 2013.
Latest Nigeria News
- MC Oluomo Resurfaces, Still Recovering In Hospital (Photos)
- What I Will Do As New Police Boss - IGP Adamu
- Ighalo hails ‘Extraordinary’ De Gea
- How Innocent Boy Spent 2 Years In Prison For A Crime He Didn't Commit (Photos)
- Drama As 2 Police Commissioners Resume In Lagos: "I Remain In Charge", says CP Edgal
- Update On The Deadly Attack At Kenya Hotel, Many Killed
- Kane Ruled Out Until March
- Atiku Raises Alarm: INEC Releasing PVC To APC Governors
- Single Mother Killed By Man She Followed To Hotel Room...
- New IGP Adamu Reverses Ex-IG Idris Last Minute Postings... May Save Four DIGs
- Okorocha, Six Others Summoned To APC Disciplinary Panel
- CJN Onnoghen and President Buhari Meet Face To Face
- Police Rescue Man From Committing Suicide On Lagos Bridge
- DAILY INSPIRATION FOR POSITIVE LIVING
- Watch The Trailer For ‘Spiderman: Far From Home’
- Burger King Mocks Trump Over Misspelled Tweet
- Theresa May’s Brexit Deal Voted Down In Historic Loss
- People who sleep less risk heart disease – Report
- Banks to experience low interest income in 2019
- Tbills, bonds drive 49% Fixed income & currency market turnover in 2018
- Ighalo: Why I Will Turn Down Offer To Join Tottenham
- Milan Coach, Gattuso: Higuain Not Talking About Leaving
- Terrorists Attack Luxury Hotel In Kenya
- President Buhari Decorates New Inspector General of Police
- Sagay: CJN Onnoghen’s Prosecution Shows No One Is Above The Law
- Guts Over Pain: Andy Murray Bows Out Despite Taking Roberto Bautista Agut To Five Sets
- I will turn Nigeria into a construction site – Sowore
- 'Soco' Standout, Ceeza Milli Drops Video For Latest Single, 'Na Wa'
- British Hacker Who Took Down Liberia’s Internet Sentenced To 3-Years Imprisonment
- Odion Ighalo Has Emerged As A Shocking Replacement Of Suarez At Bacelona
- Update: ASUU Strike To Linger As Lecturers Reject FG’s Offers, Make Fresh Demands
- Imo, Okoronkwo sign for top Hungarian club Ferencvarosi TC
- Osun FA inaugurates Electoral, Appeal Committees
- NFF Corruption Scandal: More waters in Pinnick’s sinking boat— Ben Memuletiwon
- Oil falls to $60 on concerns about China slowdown
- Theresa May begs MPs to back Brexit deal
- Over 22,000 candidates for 1,504 positions for 2019 elections
- Plot by Police to arrest, detain CJN Foiled
- Pele Wishes ‘Fellow No.10’ Maradona Full Recovery After Surgery
- Millennial Women: Poker’s New Wild Cards