Sound Therapy- You know what they say, “Music is for the soul”. Indeed it is, thanks to sound therapies that have proven the saying to be true.
With all the stress in virtually all spheres of life, scientists have discovered the wondrous amazement of a certain kind of soothing sounds that can calm our nerves. They found that slower tunes help reduce stress and anxiety.
As far as sound therapy goes, the mind and body find relaxation with slow rhythmic songs/sounds. It could be a music piece or a special composition of natural sounds designed for the purpose of sound therapy.
While fast songs can increase concentration and alertness, the effect cannot be compared to the result from slow songs.
Substantiating the therapeutic gospel of songs, Monash University conducted a study to discover that slower classical music could help reduce “anxiety, heart rate, and blood pressure”.
See Also: 16 Going On 17: Sound Of Music Star Dies At 73
Stress takes a toll on the brain and the body. Over a long period of time and unattended to, it can harm our health.
Chronic stress increases the stress hormone cortisol and affects many brain functions. The result of this is mood swings, forgetfuness and other mental issues.
When the brain is stressed and tensed, it signals the adrenal glands through the spinal cord to release adrenaline. This process then triggers an increase in the blood sugar level, increases heart rate and blood pressure. Stress also causes the brain to influence the production of the stress hormone, cortisol.
Excess cortisol can equally lead to a host of physical health problems like weight gain, osteoporosis, irritability, restlessness, fatigue, digestive problems, hormone imbalances, cancer, tension headaches and migraines, heart diseases, and diabetes.
Simply put, the nervous system instructs our bodies to release stress hormones including adrenaline, noradrenaline and cortisol, under pressure.
Stress can break down one’s immunity.
See Also: Interesting Mental Health Benefits Of Handwriting
So, to combat this health threat which is increasingly the reality of millions of people around the world; sound therapy is advocated as a natural way of calming our nerves and brains.
Cognitive scientists and researchers in music therapy, say slower musical beats(rhythms) have the power to alter brainwave speed, thereby inducing a state that’s more meditative or hypnotic.
According to them this is perhaps why so many cultures and religious services make slower, ceremonial music a big part of important rituals. Same with some exercise patterns like yoga.
Sound healing enthusiasts say that listening to percussive instruments like gongs, Tibetan singing bowls, and tuning forks reduces stress and can place the listener in a meditative state.
Many sound therapist have identified some powerful slow songs like Someone Like You by Adele, Watermark by Enya, and Weightless by Marconi Union.
Weightless by Marconi Union has been particularly praised by sound therapist. The piece was put together in collaboration with sound therapists.
It has carefully arranged harmonies, rhythms, and bass lines that helps to slow down a listener’s heart rate, reduce blood pressure and lower levels of the stress hormone cortisol.
Latest Nigeria News
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku
- Pressure Mounts On Hubby To Dump Ini Edo
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Are Tribal Marks Still Necessary Today?