The University of Nigeria, Nsukka, on Saturday matriculated 10,000 students under tight security.
Security was beefed up to prevent non-teaching staff from stopping the ceremony.
The non-teaching staff are at the moment on national strike and they had threatened to block the university main gate to stop matriculating students, parents, friends and well-wishers from entering.
Paul Arua, the leader of non-teaching staff in UNN said since they (non- teaching staff) were on strike the matriculation should not hold.
“It is the responsibility of non-teaching staff to organise matriculation and since we are on strike the matriculation should not hold,” he said.
NAN gathered that the timely intervention of policemen, operatives of the Department of State Services and Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps thwarted the blockade by the union members.
The Civil Defence members led by Nsukka area commander, Sterve Yabanet and Nsukka Police Urban DPO, were able to prevent the protesting nonteaching staff from blocking the first gate. Their effort allowed for free flow of human and vehicular traffic to the university.
In his address during the 44th matriculation, the Vice Chancellor, Benjamin Ozumba, a professor, urged the newly admitted students to take their studies seriously as UNN is known for academic excellence and has zero tolerance for deviant behaviour.
“The University of Nigeria Nsukka has avalanche of rules and regulations which are applied with strictness without favouring anybody.
“You are advised to avoid deviant behaviour because it’s consequences are not palatable in UNN.
“Shun cultism, indecent dressing and exam malpractice else you be expelled,” he said.
Mr. Ozumba advised the new student to seek advice from their deans, HOD, academic advisers and administrative staff whenever they have any academic problem.
“The university operates a course system which comprises required, ancillary, and general studies courses. These are clearly designated in all departments.
“The administration has put appropriate machinery to welcome new students and help them settle down.
“The University organised orientation for you to enable you to know more about the university as well as know the do and don’t,” he said.
The VC commended the new students and their parents for choosing UNN as the university to pursue their chosen courses and promised them that the university would give them the best.
“By choosing UNN, you have made a wise choice. What the institution expects from you, to achieve success, is to fear God in all you do as well as hard work and discipline,” he said.
About 10,000 students participated in the matriculation ceremony.
Freshmen Igwenagu Chisom of the department of Veterinary Medicine and Anabe Chidimma of the department of Radiography in separate interviews with NAN, vowed to make first class on graduation to make their parents happy.
Latest Nigeria News
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku
- Pressure Mounts On Hubby To Dump Ini Edo
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Are Tribal Marks Still Necessary Today?