A few years ago, a popular Nigerian comedian jocularly said it was possible to cook a pot of soup in a typical Lagos traffic.
As funny as it sounded at the time, it is, in fact, now a reality. A typical Lagos traffic can be likened to a market. Apart from shoes, belts, handkerchiefs, gala, plantain chips and drinks, a lot of unexpected items are being sold in Lagos traffic.
This form of street trading has become a lot more sophisticated with the introduction of many items traditionally found in shops and open markets. If you are a newbie in Lagos, or a JJC, you don’t want to fall victim to unscrupulous traffic hawkers who go about swindling unsuspecting buyers every day . Here are five things you shouldn’t buy in Lagos traffic.
The stories you hear about actually paying for a phone in traffic and then finding out that you bought a bar of soap or a fake contraption is not limited to computer village alone.
In fact, it’s a known fact that the most expensive phones and gadgets are sold at giveaway prices in Lagos traffic. Don’t be surprised if a seller dangles an iPhone X to your face in traffic for a paltry sum of N50, 000. Before, you are tempted to buy it, think twice about the fact that it may be a stolen phone or a phone programmed to work for just 30 minutes. Who knows you may just be buying your phone, which was snatched in Lagos traffic!
You do not know the type of diseases these dogs are exposed to so you can’t trust the seller. For many buyers, the breed of the dog is the attraction. And the sellers know this. This is why they take advantage of their gullibility by selling fake breeds of puppies at very mouth-watering prices. By the time you get to your veterinary doctor, you will be shocked to hear that the dog you just purchased for N30, 000 in Lagos traffic isn’t an Alsatian or even a crossbreed. So you cant trust a dog seller in traffic.
3. Recharge Cards
Buying call units in traffic calls for extra caution. By the time you are done punching the digits the trader is gone and there is absolutely nothing you can do if it doesn’t work. Besides, there have been numerous reports of recharge card vendors selling fake units in traffic. If you can totally avoid buying recharge cards in traffic please do else thread with caution and buy at your own risk.
4. Aux cords/ Ear phones/power bank/ car & phone chargers
Except you are in dire need of a charger, power bank or aux cord to power your phone or gadget do not risk it. But if you do buy it, bear in mind that you might just be buying a substandard product that may end up causing more harm than good to your device. The downside of buying these items in traffic is the fact that there is no after sale service, warranty and you almost can’t identify the seller a second time. You also can’t check its authenticity so don’t go trusting the seller. And if you are lucky to spot him in traffic again, you have absolutely no proof to nail him.
5. Some food items
Now, this category is quite tricky because the food items are the fastest moving goods in traffic. So many people have bought rotten boiled eggs, rotten pastries, walnuts etc in traffic. If you must buy canned drinks, water, biscuits etc in traffic always check for the expiry date. It is so important. As usual do thread with caution,
because the guy attending to you could be a potential armed robber or kidnapper.
Latest Nigeria News
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku
- Pressure Mounts On Hubby To Dump Ini Edo
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Are Tribal Marks Still Necessary Today?