The Director General of Voice of Nigeria, VON, and a chieftain of All Progressives Congress, APC, Osita Okechukwu, at the weekend described the appointment of Bola Tinubu as chairman of APC Reconciliation Committee as a milestone for the ruling party in the country.
Entertaining questions from journalists in Enugu at the sideline of a meeting of Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) Anchor Borrowers, Rice Agricultural Programme, Mr. Okechukwu said the appointment of Mr. Tinubu by President Muhammadu Buhari, to lead APC reconciliation committee was timely and a milestone.
He maintained that only a person of Mr. Tinubu’s calibre could reconcile all the intra-party feuds in APC. He said the ex-Lagos governor, popularly called Asiwaju, provided the critical supplement for APC’s victory in 2015.
“It is a milestone. I salute Mr. President for appointing our national leader, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu to head such a crucial committee. It is timely and a welcome development. He was one of the core architects of the merger which gave birth to the APC and has the Midas touch to stitch the torn parts. Let’s be honest there are intra-disputes which need a man of Asiwaju’s calibre to fix.”
Probed further to name such crisis, Mr. Okechukwu said: “it is not crisis per se, but intra-feuds, which normally occur in every human association. Some of them are ego based, some are ancient grudges and some are frictions, which could be traced to the fact that APC is a polygamous household with many mothers and one father.”
Confronted with the insinuations in the media that Mr. Tinubu’s invitation by Mr President is being resisted by the former’s supporters, who felt that Mr. Tinubu was sidelined, he said, “I don’t want to comment on speculation, all I know is that our brothers in the South-west appreciate the critical foundation President Muhammadu Buhari is laying nationwide in infrastructural development. And our national leader is aware that what is paramount is to save Nigeria from those who for sixteen years of unprecedented oil boom, squandered our commonwealth.
The VON DG equally expressed optimism that Mr. Tinubu would mend fences with the National Chairman of APC, John Odigie-Oyegun.
“Oyegun belongs to his motherhood of APC and did his utmost best in the circumstance he found himself.”
“My happiness is that Asiwaju as a veteran stands on a good stead to reconcile the feuding parties and different tendencies, more so, when Mr. President has mandated him to select his team,” he said.
On whether Mr. Tinubu can reconcile the friction between the Executive and members of the National Assembly, Mr. Okechukwu said, “Asiwaju more than any other leader of our great party knows the imperative of mending all fences at the eve of an election. He knows the faux pas. I remember vividly how Asiwaju in cohort with General Shehu Musa Yaradua of blessed memory and host of others reconciled similar impasse in the 90s with Chief MKO Abiola at Alhaji Kwande’s residence in Jos during the Social Democracy Party (SDP) primaries. Without such fence mending Chief Abiola and by extension Progressives couldn’t have won the 1993 presidential election.”
“No doubt Mr President is truly a convert democrat and like most converts he is passionate about reconciliation, which is the only missing link to the 2019 presidential victory; that most pundits posit is ours. The peace process has commenced with Asiwaju as the Grand-Trouble-Shooter (GTS).”
It would be recalled that last week President Muhammadu Buhari appointed Mr. Tinubu to lead the reconciliation committee of APC.
Latest Nigeria News
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku
- Pressure Mounts On Hubby To Dump Ini Edo
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Are Tribal Marks Still Necessary Today?