Dogs have over the years been known as man’s best friend and it has been shown that a dog offers more than just companionship to its owners.
Owning a dog can be a wonderful experience and some of the greatest moments in life could be defined by our pets. However, it is important to note that taking care of a dog takes time and patience.
Fascinating facts and benefits of owning a dog have been discovered and proven. From lowering your stress levels and blood pressure to speeding up recovery time from illness, explore more possibilities below:
See Also: 25 Facts About Cats That Are Totally Unbelievable
1. Better heart health
Dogs actually make your heart stronger. Asides the fact that simply petting a dog lowers a person’s heart rate, studies have shown that having a canine companion is linked to lower blood pressure, reduced cholesterol, and decreased triglyceride levels, which contribute to better overall cardiovascular health and fewer heart attacks.
Moreso, some research has shown that dog owners are much more likely to survive a heart attack compared to non owners. In particular, male pet owners tend to experience a reduced rate of heart disease.
A Chinese study also found that people who own dogs get better sleep at night and are sick less often.
2. Better resistance to allergies
Although dogs can be awful triggers for people with allergies, children who are raised around a dog are less likely to have allergies. Interestingly, living in a home with a dog can help kids grow up to have an increased immunity to pet allergies later in life.
3. Less depression and more happiness
Owning a dog also earns you mental health and help prevent loneliness and isolation. There’s a wide belief that dog owners are less prone to depression than other people, largely because they seem to help in so many other areas of health and wellbeing.
Caring for a dog helps relieve symptoms of depression and encourages people to be more positive. Since taking care of a dog requires a routine and forces you to stay at least a little active, it is harder to stay inside feeling down all the time. The interaction with and love received from a them can also help people stay positive. Even the mere act of looking at your pet increases the amount of oxytocin, the “feel good” chemical, in the brain.
Also Read: The World’s Top 10 Smartest Animals
4. Decrease in general illness
Dogs are full of germs! Having a dog in the house means more diverse bacteria enters the home, consequently, our microbiome learns how to defend to more diverse types of bacteria, which leads to our body being more prepared.
In other words, people with dogs seem to get ill less frequently and less severely than people—especially children—with cats or no pets. Dog owners tend to have lower triglyceride and cholesterol levels compared to non-dog owners.
5. Improved social life
Research has shown that about 40 percent of dog owners make friends more easily, possibly because a vast majority speak with other dog owners during walks. Dogs are brilliant conversation starters and many first-time dog owners are genuinely amazed by how many new people they meet.
It is believed that people trust others who have dogs more than just random people walking on the street and are more likely to go up and interact with them. Not only does walking your canine help you to get exercise, it might also help you get a date.
Also See: Doggy Style During s*x Causes Cancer, Stroke
6. Dogs might be cancer detectors
It is believed that dogs have the ability of smelling cancer in the human body and may save your life.
A dog’s amazing sense of smell can be used for a variety of purposes including cancer detection, and many owners have reported their dog sniffing, licking, or nudging spots that later turned out to be cancerous. Studies have also shown that some dogs are trained to detect cancer.
7. Dogs make you feel safer
Having a canine might make you feel safer when you need to leave your house alone as canines are popular effective home security systems.
Dogs tend to develop a sense of belonging to a certain place or to their owners, which leads them to let their protective instinct out when a stranger comes by.
See Again: People Now Travel To Serbia To Have s*x With Goats, Dogs, Cows
Studies show that barking dogs deter burglars and can help increase your sense of security, which is good for both your mental and physical health.
Source: Buzz Nigeria
Latest Nigeria News
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku
- Pressure Mounts On Hubby To Dump Ini Edo
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Are Tribal Marks Still Necessary Today?