Armed persons on Sunday killed a farmer in Ekiti State with residents saying they believe the victim was killed by armed herdsmen.
The victim, Olayemi Tunde, was murdered on Sunday in Ipao Ekiti, Ikole Local Government Area.
The incident occurred on Sunday afternoon, when the victim was returning home from his farm.
Mr. Olayemi, a commercial motorbike rider, had a farm at the Ipao farm settlement, where he had gone to harvest cassava.
The attack is coming two days after the state governor, Ayo Fayose, vowed to resist the attacks by armed herdsmen within the state.
Violence between herdsmen and farming communities has caused scores of deaths across Nigeria in 2018.
A skirmish in January between some herdsmen and Tiv farmers in Ekiti resulted in the death of two persons, a situation which was brought under control with the timely intervention of the governor.
The state also operates an anti-open grazing law which regulates the activities of the herdsmen in the communities.
Confirming Sunday’s murder, the Chairman of Ikole Local Government Area, Abiola Ajayi, gave details on how Mr. Olayemi was killed.
“The deceased was an okada operator who has a farm in the settlement. He had gone to his farm to harvest some cassava,” she said.
“He was with one other person. They were heading back to town from the farm and have loaded the motorbike with cassava when they saw some Fulani herdsmen coming towards them.
“The two of them were said to have been surprised at seeing the herdsmen. The herdsmen were said to have brought out their guns and the two of the farmers had to run for their life.
“The Bororos were said to have pursued the two men and eventually got Olayemi who they massacred like a cow.
“We have reported the matter to the nearest police station and the Divisional Police Officer (DPO) has since swung into action and sent two vehicles and they have gone to the scene of the murder to take the corpse and also commence investigation.”
The head of the local hunters in the community, Adebayo Odeyemi, who was obviously grieved by the incident, said the hunters had declared war on the herdsmen and would not allow a repeat of the incident.
“We haven’t attacked any herdsman but they have killed one person in the community now and right now we will ensure they are not allowed to do this again,” he said.
“We are valiant men, not cowards, and we will face them this time around defend the community, defend the farms. They have massacred one of us mercilessly and this won’t happen again.”
Efforts to get the police to respond to the development were unfruitful, as calls made to the Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Alberto Adeyemi, were not answered.
Latest Nigeria News
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku
- Pressure Mounts On Hubby To Dump Ini Edo
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Are Tribal Marks Still Necessary Today?