An unconventional new trend of man-hood whitening is reportedly captivating men in Thailand’s beauty industry.
The trend was brought to limelight after a viral video footage emerged online of a clinic – Lelux Hospital, carrying out the unusual procedure.
The video of the laser procedure which also had side-by-side images of a man-hood before and after the whitening process has garnered millions of views since it was posted. Though the online post seems to have been taken down, the picture of the procedure is still circulating from credible news sources.
According to a spokesman for the clinic, the man-hood whitening procedure, which breaks down melanin in the skin using lasers, cost around $480 for five sessions.
See Also: How Apple Can Protect Children From Smartphone Addiction
Popol Tansakul, the clinic’s marketing manager told the BBC that about 100 men visit Lelux Hospital each month for the procedure.
The hospital reportedly began performing the bizarre procedure six months ago after a patient complained about dark pigmentation on his groin.
“Patients started to ask about man-hood whitening, and so we started the treatment a month later.
“They are popular among gay men and transvestites who take good care of their private parts. They want to look good in all areas,” Popol Tansakul said.
Speaking to German news agency DPA,Tansakul said: “We use the same pigmentation laser equipment employed in other skin treatments. All of the equipment received certification [by Thailand’s Ministry of Public Health].”
Read Again: US Approves Digital Pill That Tracks When Patients Take It
However, health officials have warned that penile bleaching can lead to scarring, inflammation and “nasty looking spots,” urging people to have a rethink before undergoing the procedure.
“man-hood laser whitening is not necessary, wastes money and may give more negative effects than positive ones,” Dr. Thongchai Keeratihuttayakorn of Thailand’s Health Ministry’s said in a statement.
Laser treatments break up the skin’s pigmentation, and the process can definitely be dangerous. Reports reveal that if the power of the laser is high, it can cause redness, bloody sores, and subsequently possible infection. If the lasers are less intense, it could cause a freckling effect.
Given that a darker skin is associated with outdoor labor and being poorer, products and laser procedures that whiten the skin have become increasingly popular in Thailand, with a wide range of bleaching products on the market.
According to the BBC Thai Service, the whitening industry in the Asia-Pacific region measures up to about $ 2 billion a year. Advertisements for skin lightening treatments are shown widely on billboards and in newspapers, while pharmacies stock over-the-counter skin lightening products.
Medically, a patient who undergoes laser therapy may experience less pain, swelling, and scarring than with traditional surgery. It can also be expensive and require repeated treatments.
However, laser procedures which allow surgeons to work at high levels of precision by focusing on a small area, have some benefits.
Also See: How Okro Affects Infertility In Men
Lasers are more precise than traditional surgical instruments, and cuts can be made shorter and shallower, thereby causing less damage to the surrounding tissue. They are usually shorter than traditional surgeries and people also tend to heal faster with laser operations compared with traditional surgeries.
Source: Buzz Nigeria
Latest Nigeria News
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku
- Pressure Mounts On Hubby To Dump Ini Edo
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Are Tribal Marks Still Necessary Today?