It was a close match, but the tactics employed by Jose Mourinho were better than Jurgen Klopp’s.
With more possession already conceded even before the match kicked off, Mourinho knew Liverpool’s major strength was the press and he negated that completely with his back-to-front tactic.
Two goals ensued from that direct route, 10 minutes apart from Marcus Rashford who fed on the relative inexperience of Trent Alexander-Arnold, who was preferred ahead of Joe Gomez.
With the benefit of hindsight, Jurgen Klopp could have done these five things to get a more positive result.
Even as he said at the post-match interview, they had some decisions that did not go for them.
Klopp always knew his team would have more of the possession but he still did not gamble on that assumption. The route one tactic employed by United would have been better dealt with by a three-man defensive shield, who would have had only Romelu Lukaku to handle.
Gomez ahead of Alexander-Arnold
Alexander-Arnold was culpable for both goals, unfortunate as that may sound, mistakes from an inexperienced head. The 19-year-old will learn with more games Gomez could have handled the Rashford threat more maturely. As for the first goal, Alexander-Arnold was caught on the wrong side as Rashford made hay.
Matip ahead of Lovren
Lovren almost always seems jittery when playing the big sides while Joel Matip, who may have been dropped because of fitness issues, seems unflappable on those occasions. For the two goals conceded by Liverpool, Lovren was simply not strong enough. And if it had been a three-man defence, it would have been the third centre half picking up the Belgian.
Executed too many touches in and around the box
There were so many blocks executed by Manchester United players especially Eric Bailly, who seemed determined to atone for his own goal. With the centre of the pitch crowded, the Liverpool players continued their offensive forays through the middle as they persevered in trying to waltz through. It did not happen and the goal they got was a deflection because Sadio Mane decided to take the ball on and cross.
Maybe, it was just meant to be
Liverpool should have tried to take shots from distance or play with more width or just the fact that Mourinho prepared his team very well for the Liverpool way. Liverpool had 13 corner kicks to United’s one; they had 68% of possession and had 14 shots, from which David De Gea had to make only two saves.
Mourinho showed why he is a great manager by almost completely nullifying the hot trio of Mane, Roberto Firmino and hot shot, Mohamed Salah. You will only write off Mourinho at your own peril. The Portuguese is still alive and kicking. Now to the Champions League.
Latest Nigeria News
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku
- Pressure Mounts On Hubby To Dump Ini Edo
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Are Tribal Marks Still Necessary Today?