The National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party, Uche Secondus, Governor Ifeanyi Okowa of Delta, and Ex-Governor Emmanuel Uduaghan and other national and state PDP leaders on Saturday eulogised “the sterling leadership qualities of former Governor James Ibori, describing him as a unifying figure and a blessing to the Niger Delta region.”
A statement by the press unit of the Delta State Government House said the officials spoke at Ovwor-Olomu in Ughelli South Local Government Area of Delta State during a grand reception in honour of Mr. Ibori.
According to the statement, the party leaders described the former governor, who returned to Nigeria on February 5, 2017 after serving jail term in the UK, as a unifying factor in the development of the Niger Delta region and Delta State in particular.
Mr. Ibori had on February 27, 2012, pleaded guilty in a London court to 10 counts of money laundering and conspiracy to defraud. Before Judge Anthony Pitts, Mr. Ibori admitted stealing $250million as alleged by the prosecution.
The Metropolitan Police accused Mr. Ibori of spending some of the stolen money buying six houses in London – paying £2.2m in cash for one Hampstead mansion – and putting his children in expensive British private schools.
After he pleaded guilty, Crown Prosecution Service lawyer, Sasha Wass, made a short submission, saying the prosecution was discontinuing Mr. Ibori’s trial because the former governor had “accepted the entirety of the prosecution’s case as it has always been set out.”
Mr. Ibori was later sentenced to 13 years in UK prison. He was however released and deported to Nigeria in February 2017.
But despite being aware of the former governor’s antecedent, the PDP National Chairman, Mr. Secondus, and his colleagues, lavishly eulogised Mr. Ibori at the occasion, saying the PDP needed his leadership acumen to wrest power from the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC).
“Ibori must be celebrated because he is a man of the people not just in Delta state but across the nation, today, he is a factor in this country. On behalf of the masses of our country, we salute you, we salute your courage because you are a man who believes in the struggle of the party,” he added.
“You [Delta State] have a son that has built a political structure that is envied across the nation. Delta State remains the only state in the nation that has a stability in political succession. It remains the only state where all the Governor that have ruled the state are still members of the PDP,” he added.
Governor Okowa said Mr. Ibori laid the foundation of development in the state and established a political structure which served as a bridge builder and development agent across the country.
He thanked the people of the state for their support and called for greater unity among Deltans and assured them of more democratic dividends.
Mr. Uduaghan on his part, called for an end to rumour mongering and sycophancy in the state
Responding, Mr. Ibori advised the political class especially those seeking political office not to heat up the polity, saying power belongs to God and that only He can give power.
He said he has forgiven all those who played one role or another in his incarceration.
The chief host of the reception, John Oguma, said Mr. Ibori impacted positively on the state.
Mr. Oguma described Mr. Ibori as a national leader who helped in stabilising the nation’s political terrain.
No one at the event made reference to Mr. Ibori’s corrupt past or even to the need for public officials to desist from stealing public resources.
Latest Nigeria News
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku
- Pressure Mounts On Hubby To Dump Ini Edo
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Are Tribal Marks Still Necessary Today?