The biggest of the Oriental derbies will go down on Sunday in the Nigeria Professional Football League as Enugu Rangers play host to Enyimba FC at the Nnamdi Azikiwe Stadium in Enugu.
With seven domestic league titles apiece between both teams and a measure of dominance on the continental scene, expectations are understandably high for an explosive tie at ‘The Cathedral’ on Sunday.
It is Match Day 12 encounter of NPFL 2018 season and all the fanfare associated with previous derbies will be present as the ‘Flying Antelopes’ try to outsmart the visiting ‘Peoples Elephant’ from neighbouring Aba, Abia state.
Interestingly, Coach Gbenga Ogunbote who is now in charge at Rangers was at the helms of affairs last season in Enyimba and the Ogun state born tactician will want to prove a point against his former employers.
Both Rangers and Enyimba are going into Sunday’s game on the back of impressive results.
While Rangers got a valuable 1-1 draw in a match day 11 encounter with Sunshine Stars in Akure, Enyimba were too hot to handle in their CAF Confederation Cup outing; beating their hosts 2-0 in Cotonou.
Coach Ogunbote may likely rely on ex-Enyimba players in his fold to do the damage against his former wards as he targets all three points to enhance his team’ chances of playing continental football next season.
On his part, Enyimba coach Paul Aigbogun would likely throw a first start in the league to mercurial midfielder, Ikechukwu Ibenegbu, to steady the midfield for the Elephants while Ghanaian shot stopper Dauda Fatau will keep his place between the sticks.
The duo of Ifeanyi Anaemena and Nelson Ogbonna will be manning the heart of the defence while Stanley Dimgba and Chinonso Okonkwo will lead the attack.
Ifeanyi George, a former Enyimba player now with Rangers, is optimistic the Flying Antelopes will come out tops even though he admits it will be tough.
He said: “Any day, Enyimba is a good side but I believe we are a better side now. My trying periods are over and I am focused at delivering the goods which, by God’s grace, shall continue Sunday in Enugu. We fear no foe.”
Former Rangers dribbling wizard, Chinedu Udeagha, now with Enyimba is high on confidence that the People’s Elephant will not leave Enugu empty-handed.
“With the result we got in Cotonou on Wednesday, I see us picking all points at stake or we secure a draw. Enugu had been a home to me for the past seven seasons, but I have a new home and club that pays my wages and I am ready to defend the Blue colours of Enyimba with the last drop of my blood. It will be a tough match but we shall leave Enugu with our heads held high.” Udeagha said.
For Rangers coach Ogunbote, there is nothing out of this world as far as Sunday’s derby clash is concerned.
“There is nothing really big about the match except that whether we like it or not, we have to play and fortunately or unfortunately, it has to be against my former club, Enyimba also it is an oriental derby.
“All we have to do is take our chances because ninety minutes will decide.
“I am not under any pressure and have never been under any pressure all through my career only what people may call pressure is how to actualize my set target and I believe that we shall start getting it right from Enyimba’ game.”
Latest Nigeria News
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku
- Pressure Mounts On Hubby To Dump Ini Edo
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Are Tribal Marks Still Necessary Today?