The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) says any candidate that cannot be identified through biometrics will be barred from writing the ongoing Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME).
Fabian Benjamin, the board’s Head, Media and Information Department, disclosed this in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Sunday in Lagos.
Mr. Benjamin spoke against the backdrop of some reported cases in some centres where some candidates could not be identified through JAMB’s electronic system to gain access into exam halls.
NAN reports that the 2018 UTME which commenced on Friday, March 9, in 605 centres nationwide, ends on March 17.
“We want to clearly state here that any candidate who cannot be identified using biometrics will not be allowed to sit for this examination.
“So far, over 450,000 candidates have sat for the examination and we have had reported cases where some of the candidates cannot be identified as they place their fingers on the machines for identification.
“Candidates sitting for this examination are not to be identified by mere registration numbers or names, but through the machines.
“We know that at the point of registration for this examination, candidates details are captured with live photographs as well as their fingerprints.
“So while going for the examination, it is only expected that candidates should be screened and identified using biometrics.
“This method should be able to call up candidates identity and so, there is no way a candidate will just come and mention his name and registration number and be allowed in without going through the right process,” he told NAN.
Mr. Benjamin said the measure was to ensure the eligibility of candidates and reduce cases of impersonation.
According to him, the board’s personnel are fully on ground to ensure a smooth conduct of the examination and attend to any technical hitch in all the centres.
The JAMB spokesman said: “We want to also assure the remaining candidates of this ongoing examination that they have nothing to fear as we have ensured that the cables, systems and backups in the various centres are fully operational and hitch-free.
“So far, we want to say we are happy with the way the conduct of the examination has gone nationwide and we are hopeful that it is going to get better while it lasts.
“We remain committed to ensuring that the future of the Nigerian child is secured and we have put all logistics in place to ensure that this year’s exam turns out one of the best ever conducted in recent times.”
Latest Nigeria News
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku
- Pressure Mounts On Hubby To Dump Ini Edo
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Are Tribal Marks Still Necessary Today?