The Social Democratic Party (SDP) has set its agenda for the upcoming general elections.
The party made this known on Sunday in a statement by Adakole Ijogi, its national spokesperson.
The party which earlier on Thursday announced its Interim Nation Working Committee (NWC) at a press conference in Abuja, said the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) lacks political maturity and capacity.
The SDP also said it will hold a non-elective convention in April to accommodate all who have or want to join the party.
There have been reports that some aggrieved Peoples Democratic Party members are planning to join the SDP. One of those so rumoured, ex-Governor Olusegun Mimiko of Ondo State has since denied such plan.
The statement noted the need to promote the party’s manifesto clearly as the general election draws near.
“Arising from its maiden National Communications Strategy briefing, the Social Democratic Party [SDP] has resolved to set the agenda for the next round of elections and stir (sic) the conversation towards the yearnings of Nigerians for a better governed nation.
“It identified these to be primarily on a restructured, balanced, equitable and truly functional Nigerian Federation; A humane, free, self-reliant and democratic society; an inclusive, productive, pro-growth and sustainable economy; A just, fair, egalitarian and peaceful nation; A land of opportunities for all Nigerians; and A national culture of raising effective leaders through mentoring of Young people.
“The meeting also unanimously resolved to be issue based in all its media and communications engagements, in its bid to firmly re-positioning the Social Democratic Party, which is the only ideology driven political party in Nigeria. On the Nation-Wide Roll-Out, after the Non-Elective Convention in April 2018, it was also unanimously agreed that the youth, women and emerging leaders would drive the process, as the internal political space with the party has been deliberately designed to accommodate these very important demography.
“The need to promote the party’s manifesto in a clear and easy to comprehend format was agreed, with strategic emphasis placed on the party’s stands on a new governance model for Nigeria that will make welfare, citizen’s rights and rule of law the epicenter of its programs.
“However, it also observed that the gross lack of capacity in managing the economy and the political immaturity in governance by the APC led Federal Government has brought untold hardship, increased sectarian violence and polarized the nation into ethnic and religious camps, in fact the last three years has been tales of disillusionment, despair and disenchantment.
“While also reiterating that all hope is not lost, as the Social Democratic Party [SDP] as a credible political party has come to stop the hemorrhaging and guide the nation back unto the path of prosperity, progress and unity, stating the SDP is ready govern Nigeria at all levels.
“The SDP is directed, driven and defined by its core values of:Justice, fairness, equity and progress;Democracy, good leadership, good governance and sustainable development;Transparency, integrity, truth and honour;Accountability and zero-tolerance for corruption;Respect for human dignity, human rights and the sanctity of human life;Peace, security, harmony and cooperative solidarity, within the rule of law;International cooperation for a common humanity within a secure and peaceful world order.
“We are the party Nigerians have been waiting for and we are determined to deliver on our promises working together as a people to give Nigerians a new lease of life.”
Latest Nigeria News
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku
- Pressure Mounts On Hubby To Dump Ini Edo
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Are Tribal Marks Still Necessary Today?