The Ondo State police command has arraigned, before the Juvenile court in Akure, a 17-year-old student of St. Joseph College, Ondo, for allegedly sodomising an eight-year-old boy.
The victim is the son of an Akure-based journalist, Lanre Duyile.
A police spokesman, Femi Joseph, confirmed the teenager’s arraignment while giving an update on the case.
Mr. Joseph however did not give details of the charge preferred against the suspect, since it is a case involving a minor.
He said the arraignment was in fulfilment of the police’s promise to ensure justice.
“The case has been registered with the presiding magistrate who will get all facts before knowing the charges to be preferred against Olamilekan,” he said.
“I am sure hearing will commence at the next adjourned date. It is no longer in our hands.”
Reacting to the arraignment, Betty Abbah, the Chief Executive Officer of CEE Hope, a Non-Govermental Organisation, pursuing the case after a complaint was lodged by the victim’s father, said the arraignment was a relief.
“The prompt arrest and arraignment of the suspect by the police following our outcry and that of other members of the public is extremely commendable,” she said.
“The police has lived up to its billing that it can be responsive and stand for the protection of the most vulnerable which this little sodomised boy represents.”
She also advised the parents to resist any pressure to withdraw the case.
“I am aware that tremendous pressure is currently being mounted on the father of the boy by some powerful individuals to withdraw the case,” she revealed.
“He should be left alone with his family. At a point, he had to vacate his house to live in a church for fear of his family’s safety. Enough is enough.
“People, no matter how powerful, should be told that there are limits to their impunity especially in a country and a state governed by law and order.”
Ms. Betty called urged the state government, the Ministry of Women Affairs, the House of Assembly and all relevant stakeholders to step in to ensure justice was secured for the little boy.
She promised to begin a comprehensive psychosocial support to ensure the victim’s stability, safety and a sense of justice.
PREMIUM TIMES learnt that the arraignment did not come until the Mr. Duyile raised the alarm that the police was conniving with the parents of the suspect to sweep the case under the carpet.
The police promptly denied the allegation and rearrested the suspect after he was initially released.
Mr. Duyile narrated that he noticed his son was always touching the private parts of his mates, a development which prompted an investigation on his part.
The little boy later confessed to his parents that the suspect had been abusing him whenever he was left with their neighbour in their absence.
Latest Nigeria News
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku
- Pressure Mounts On Hubby To Dump Ini Edo
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Are Tribal Marks Still Necessary Today?