The Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA) on Sunday said that four people died as a Lexus Jeep plying one way rammed into a commercial bus on Lekki/Epe Expressway.
The General Manager of LASEMA, Adesina Tiamiyu, said in a statement in Lagos that the accident happened at the First Gate inward Oriental Hotel, along Lekki/ Epe Expressway.
Mr. Tiamiyu said that the agency was alerted at about 6.49 a.m. on a distress call via the emergency toll free line 112/767 regarding the accident.
He said that this prompted the immediate activation of the agency’s Response Team, other emergency responders and the security operatives to the scene of the incident.
According to him, investigation carried out by the agency’s response team at the scene of the incident reveals that a Lexus Jeep GX470 with registration number KJA-615DF was plying one way.
”The Lexus Jeep ran into a commercial bus (KRE-302XA) that was just cleared by the ticketing officers at the toll gate.
”A total of four fatalities were recorded which includes three adult male and an adult female.
”Sixteen casualties with severe injuries were recorded, including four adult female and 12 adult male. The driver of the jeep was transported to the General Hospital, Marina.
”The LASEMA Response Team alongside LASAMBUS, RRS, Nigeria Police Force, State Environmental Monitoring Unit (SEHMU) and LCCI were responders present at the scene of the incident,” he said.
Mr. Tiamiyu said that emergency/security operatives were involved in traffic management measures to forestall the occurrence of a secondary accident and crowd control.
He said that the operatives gave medical care to the casualties and subsequently moved them down to the General Hospital at Marina and Trauma Centre, at Toll Gate for further treatments.
According to him, the two adult male who died at the scene were subsequently handed over to the Lagos State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit (SEHMU), while the remaining two, an adult male and an adult female, were later confirmed dead.
Mr. Adesina said that the accidented vehicles were recovered off the road with the aid of the agency’s light tow truck and subsequently handed over to the Lekki Concession Company Ltd (LCC) officials, who moved them down to Maroko Police station.
He, therefore, advised motorists to always endeavour to drive with caution when driving on highways.
The general manager urged motorists to abstain from drinking alcohol before driving, as well as ensure road worthiness of vehicles before embarking on journeys to avoid unecessary loss of lives.
Mr. Tiamiyu said that the Lekki incident would be further investigated by the security operatives, while the state government would also ensure prosecution of the culprit to serve as deterrence of errant motorists.
Latest Nigeria News
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku
- Pressure Mounts On Hubby To Dump Ini Edo
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Are Tribal Marks Still Necessary Today?