More than 10 years after shunning the Murtala Muhammed Airport II (MMA2), Lagos, the management of Arik Air on Sunday announced the movement of its Port Harcourt Airport operations to the private terminal.
The airline said on Sunday that all daily flights to Port Harcourt International Airport will cease to operate from the General Aviation Terminal (GAT) and will depart and arrive at MMA2.
In February 2008, the airline was ordered to move its domestic operations to the domestic terminal.
With the directive, the airline and Virgin Air were expected to operate their domestic and regional flights from the new domestic terminal, MMA2, while they park their aircraft at the apron of the General Aviation Terminal (GAT).
But the airlines declined, leading to endless litigations between Arik Air and Bi-Courtney, the company in charge of the MMA2 concession.
In February, indications emerged that the airline would move its operation to the MMA2.
On Sunday, Arik Air’s Chief Executive Officer, Roy Ilegbodu, said the decision to move all outbound and inbound Lagos-Port Harcourt flights to MMA2 is informed by the need to enhance passenger flying experience.
The MMA2, he said, offers spacious ticketing and departure experience, modern and functional escalators and lifts.
The terminal also has automated check-in, generous waiting space, lounges, restaurants and shops.
“We are daily reviewing our operations in order to give customers value for their money and enhance their travel experience. By moving some of our operations to MMA2, we are delighting customers with seamless travel,” Mr. Ilegbodu added.
“In addition to the four daily flights from Lagos to Port Harcourt International, Arik Air also operates one premium daily flight from MMA 2 Lagos to Nigeria Air Force (NAF) Base, Port Harcourt.
“Arik Air had late last year opened a ticketing desk at MMA2 for customers who crave the on time departure and great customer experience that have become the trademark of the airline.”
PREMIUM TIMES recalls that before it was taken over by the Asset Management Corporation of Nigeria, AMCON, the airline had issues with Bi-Courtney Aviation Services Ltd (BASL).
Arik alleged that it paid N160 million for office space at the terminal in 2007 but no space was allocated for it, a development which compelled it to institute a legal action against BASL at the Lagos High Court.
The airline later vowed it would rather fold up and take its operations to any other African country than fly from MMA2.
Latest Nigeria News
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku
- Pressure Mounts On Hubby To Dump Ini Edo
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Are Tribal Marks Still Necessary Today?