The Akwa Ibom state government has outlawed 32 cult groups in the state.
The government also outlawed (made illegal and unaceptable) any group known to have been engaged in advanced fee fraud “419”.
The State Governor, Udom Emmanuel, who signed the proscription order on Monday in Uyo, said it was in accordance with Section 70 of the Criminal Code Law, Cap 38, Vol. 2, Laws of Akwa Ibom State, 2000.
Vikings, Black Axe, KKK, and Buccaneers are among the outlawed cult groups in the state.
The outlawed groups also include Mafia, Luttox (Junior Black Axe), Debam, Dewell, Icelanders, Red Skins, Pirates, Amoc, and Akwa Marines.
Others are The Luttox, The Red Skins, St. Stephens, Dewell, Sept 11 Group, Secret Sons of Satan, King Cobra, J.V (Junior Vikings), Bats, Predators, Black Ladies, Black Cross, Scavengers, Skylolo, Sons of Nights, Blood Brotherhood, Junior Buccaneers, White Angels, and Musket.
Governor Emmanuel said defaulters of the order “shall be prosecuted in accordance with the cultism, offensive Weapons and Violent Behaviour (Prohibition) 2004, or any other enabling law in that regard”.
Akwa Ibom State, in recent times, has witnessed an increase in cult-related violence and killings, especially in Essien Udim, Etim Ekpo, Ukanafun, Ikot Ekpene, and Eket local government areas.
Udeme Nana, a former media aide to the former governor of the state, Victor Attah, has commended Mr. Emmanuel for the proscription order which he described as “very bold and courageous step”.
“In fact, it is a revolutionary and transformative step. It is a step in the right direction capable of redeeming our present society and with potentials of reclaiming the society for future generations,” Mr. Nana told PREMIUM TIMES.
Continuing, he said, “In the past decade, cultists were made to become role models and political leaders at all levels in our dear State. Cultism became a badge of honour. Cultism became a religion!
“Some years ago, the leadership of our Church, Methodist Church Nigeria resolved to discourage its members from belonging to secret cults and admonished those already in cults and occultic groups to denounce their membership of such groups. Members were encouraged to denounce such groups publicly. Those who refused to discontinue in such groups were stripped of positions in the Church,” he said.
Mr. Nana, who is the Convener, Uyo Book Club, advised the governor to take a step further by ensuring that government officials “come clean on this matter”.
“Let every Exco member, permanent secretaries, members of the State House of Assembly, local government council chairmen, board chairmen and members who may have been associated with any of the banned groups renounce their affiliations to such groups publicly.
“That would send a very strong signal down to those on the streets that this revolutionary executive order is a very serious decision,” he said.
Latest Nigeria News
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku
- Pressure Mounts On Hubby To Dump Ini Edo
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Are Tribal Marks Still Necessary Today?