Jose Mourinho has shown in his last two big matches that he can deliver on tactical master plans. He needs another on Tuesday when Manchester United welcome Sevilla to Old Trafford in their second leg round of 16 clash.
The first leg ended 0-0 – a match in which United appeared docile but escaped with a draw courtesy of some fantastic saves from David De Gea.
All that is needed to march into the quarterfinal is a one-goal win or any score that has a goal advantage. United will likely deliver that result under the astute preparation of Mourinho coupled with Sevilla’s form, which has been poor of late.
Mourinho confirmed this thinking at the pre-match press conference. “We don’t have to win three, four, five, we have to win 1-0, 2-1, 5-4, 8-7. Not to win would be a disappointment.”
The Portuguese coach has already won the Champions League with Porto and Inter Milan. Although he wants to win with Manchester United, he said his thought is on Sevilla on Tuesday.
“When a team reaches the last eight, anything is possible. Now I have only one name in my mind – Sevilla – I know it’s very difficult to go through.”
|Errors Leading to Goals||2||1|
Sevilla are on a bad run but they are a team made up of good players and if they play to their absolute best will test United on Tuesday. Stats show they have both scored 12 goals in the UCL this season. To buttress that confidence the club wrote on Twitter, “See you soon, Old Trafford… We’re bringing everything we’ve got.”
The manager of the Spanish team, fifth on La Liga table, Vincenzo Montella, believes his team can stop United despite Mourinho’s team enjoying a superb recent run. “I am not frustrated about the first leg. We played an excellent match.
“We have to play 180 minutes so we have another chance tomorrow. We know Man. United have beaten Liverpool, Chelsea and come back against Palace – they’re on a good run. We hope to stop that run tomorrow.”
They will need more than that if they will get the better of Mourinho’s plans.
Paul Pogba did not train on Monday morning with his United teammates, which could mean Scott McTominay continues in the middle with Nemanja Matic even though Mourinho revealed at the press conference, “We don’t know yet [whether Pogba would play]. He trained a little bit after you left.”
Current Form: Man Utd [W-W-W-D-W]; Sevilla [L-W-W-L-D]
Head to head
21/02/18 UCL Sevilla 0 – 0 Man Utd
09/08/13 CLF Man Utd 1 – 3 Sevilla
Words before the War
“Tomorrow’s a very difficult match. We’re playing against a team that didn’t lose against Liverpool home and away, scored goals against Liverpool, drew against Liverpool – and they [Liverpool] are a very good team, so it says Sevilla are a really good team.” – Jose Mourinho, Manchester United manager.
“We have to play according to what situations arise tomorrow. There will be moments we have to defend, and others where we have to attack – and moments to slow the game down and moments to speed it up.” – Vincenzo Montella, Sevilla manager
Latest Nigeria News
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku
- Pressure Mounts On Hubby To Dump Ini Edo
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Are Tribal Marks Still Necessary Today?