The Labour Party has accused the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) of misleading Nigerians by claiming it is in crisis. It urged the electoral body to recognise Mike Omotosho as its chairman, in place of Abdulkadir Abdusalam.
The forum of state chairmen of the party stated this at a press conference on Tuesday in Abuja.
The conference was addressed by Joseph Ndirang, the chairman of the party in the Federal Capital Territory and newly elected chairman of the forum.
Mr. Ndirang read a communique he said was issued at the end of a two-day meeting of the forum held on March 12 and 13.
He said the meeting addressed the refusal of INEC to respect the decision of the party at its convention on October 3 last year to remove Mr. Abdusalam as national chairman and replace him with Mr. Omotosho.
“The meeting observed with dismay, the inability of INEC, as a regulator of the activities of political parties, to fully comply and impartially implement the overwhelming decision of the highest organ of Labour Party (the convention), which unanimously removed the former chairman, Abdulkarim Absusalam, from office and elected Mike Omotosho as the new national chairman of the party.
“The meeting-in-session noted that the special convention that removed Salam from office, was convened in line with the provisions of the party’s constitution Article 13c and in conformity with the requirements and guidelines of INEC.
“To that extent, there should not have been any reason why Salam’s name is still hosted on INEC’s website after INEC supervised and monitored the constitutional process that duly removed him.
“For avoidance of doubts, copies of the Nigeria police investigation report and Forensic Audit Report carried out on the party’s financial accounts, that indicted the former national chairman and other party officials were made available to the state chairmen for their perusal.”
Mr. Ndirang said 30 state chairmen present at the meeting pledged their support for the new chairman, Mr. Omotosho.
“The state chairmen expressed their displeasure over the continuous illegal self-parade of Salam as Labour Party National Chairman, even when the National Working Committee, the National Executive Council and Special Convention removed him from the office. This perpetration of illegality has misled people towards assuming that the Labour Party is in a kind of crisis, which is not true.”
Mr. Ndirang said the forum would visit the new chairman, Mr. Omotosho, and INEC to present copies of the communique.
“The chairmen’s forum re-affirms the outcome of the the October 3rd, 2017 Special Convention. We also demand that all relevant stakeholders respect and uphold the decision of the party reached at the convention, which is the highest decision-making political body.
“The meeting demanded that INEC recognises and only deal, henceforth, with Mike Omotosho as the duly elected National Chairman of the Labour Party.”
The Labour Party also stressed that it will not join any coalition but will continue to stand on its own as a party.
“The party rejected the move of a former governor under the umbrella of the party to hijack the party through the backdoor. We admonish the former governor, who abandoned the party that made him when we needed him most to join effort with the new leadership, NLC and other stakeholders to build the party rather than set it on the part of destruction.
“The meeting frowned at the old system where the party never features in elections but used to make money in the personal interest of some leaders. It was unanimously agreed that only people intending to truly contest elections, will be given the party’s platform for elections. Labour party is no longer for sale,’ Mr Ndirang said.
The party commended the leadership of the Nigerian Labour Congress under Ayuba Wabba for the timely intervention to restore peace in the Labour Party.
Asked if the party would go to court if after its visit to INEC nothing is done, Mr. Ndirang said: “That is our last resort, we will do that. But for now, these are the measures we are taking.”
Meanwhile, the party’s secretariat in Abuja is still under the control of Mr. Abdusalam who insists he remains the national chairman.
Latest Nigeria News
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku
- Pressure Mounts On Hubby To Dump Ini Edo
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Are Tribal Marks Still Necessary Today?