The All Progressives Congress (APC) in Ondo State has lashed out against Ajayi Boroffice, the senator representing Ondo North, accusing him of anti-party activities and faulting his claims that the state governor, Rotimi Akeredolu, polarised the party.
The APC’s latest intervention is in reaction to Mr. Boroffice’s response to the governor’s earlier comment on the status of the senator with regard to the development of the state.
During the first anniversary celebration, Mr. Akeredolu had stated that he knew only two APC senators who were working to uplift the state, namely, Tayo Alasoadura (Ondo Central) and Yele Omogunwa (Ondo South). He left out Mr. Boroffice, whom he had been having running battle with.
Mr. Boroffice, in a response on Sunday, said the governor’s statement was far from the truth.
He said he had been involved in the development of his senatorial district and the state at large. He also alleged the governor was responsible for the problems facing the party in the state, due to his style of leadership which was dividing the party.
Mr. Boroffice and the governor had been at war over the outcome of the last governorship primaries.
The governor had accused the senator of working against the party and campaigning for the Alliance for Democracy during the 2016 governorship election.
Meanwhile, a statement by the APC, signed by Director of Publicity, Steve Otaloro, said the senator’s allegation that the governor had polarised the party was false.
“We want to make it clear that the governor does not in any way intervene in the affairs of the party. The party affairs is solely run by the leadership of the party in the state led by Engr. Ade Adetimehin,” the statement said.
“It’s sheer figment of Boroffice’s imagination to have claimed that people are leaving our party when in fact people are defecting to our party in droves everyday to the point that the entire party fabrics of the opposition in the state have been more or less collapsed into our party.
“Boroffice, no doubt, is alone in this illusion that critical mass of our party leadership and members are leaving which could be informed by his desperate ambition to govern the state at all costs. This same ambition had earlier pitched him against his former party leader and governor in the Labour Party(LP).
“It would baffle any member of the party in the state to hear Borofice claiming to have worked tirelessly for the governor to win the election when he never at anytime appeared at the electioneering campaigns of the governor.
“This is a senator who is at National Assembly on the platform of APC, yet he’s fighting the governor and the party chairman in the state, Engr Ade Adetimehin as well as contravening the decision of the National leadership of the party led by Chief John Odigie-Oyegun. One wonders what he really wants.”
It advised the lawmaker to be truthful in his assertions.
“It beats one’s imagination if Senator Boroffice could be referring to the governor as a controversial candidate after one year in office and still claims to have worked tirelessly and voted for him.
“It also remains irreconcilable why Borofice who sent a congratulatory message to the governor through the media after his victory at the poll did not attend the inauguration ceremony of the governor. At this point, I think it is expedient to ask Borofice to swear by the God he serves that he truly worked and voted for Arakunrin Akeredolu at the poll.”
The statement also accused the senator of anti-party activities. The party alleged that Mr. Borofice who came fourth in the party primaries immediately ordered his supporters to move to the opposition party, but could not openly canvass votes for the opposition because ”he was a sitting senator on the platform of our party, APC”.
“That Senator Borofice is just reacting to the unification rally after several weeks smacks suspicion. It is no longer a secret that Senator Boroffice is not only currently sponsoring meetings against our party but already on his way out of the party because he knows he has slim chances of winning the next primaries to return to the Senate the third time due to his depleting popularity among the people of the Northern Senatorial District,” the statement said.
“However, it is ironic that Borofice who has been docile in his legislative duties and trifled away six good years playing mere politics due to his personal ambition could be criticising a governor who has creditably performed very well in his first year in office to the delight of the people of the state.”
Mr. Boroffice had earlier used his response to catalogue his projects across the senatorial district, adding that he had never been invited by the governor to any meeting convened by him.
Ondo is one of the many states under the ruling APC that is experiencing internal wranglings and crises. A committee headed by its national leader, Bola Timubu to mend the cracks is yet to make any headway.
Latest Nigeria News
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku
- Pressure Mounts On Hubby To Dump Ini Edo
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Are Tribal Marks Still Necessary Today?