Some candidates in the ongoing computer cased 2018 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) have complained about the challenges they faced writing their examinations.
A candidate who identified himself as Aliyu told PREMIUM TIMES that during the two hours examination, the generator that supplied electricity to the centre stopped three times.
“The exams was scheduled to commence by 7 a.m. but we couldn’t start until 8 a.m because of thumbprint and screening. We also experienced failure of generator. The generator failed about three times.
“We were expected to spend two hours, but we couldn’t. They kept pressuring us to submit. Many candidates had not finished when the management submitted the exams,” he complained.
However, the proprietor of the institute, Zakari Abdullahi, said the failure of generator had no effect on the exams.
“Of course the generator broke down. But it was fixed. A new generator was brought. Everything went smoothly.
“The students didn’t come on time, which is not our fault. Normally, students were expected to come before seven, the exams is supposed to start by seven. But we didn’t have them. We had to wait,” Mr. Abdullahi said.
At SMS ICT Institute, Nomansland,Kano, the second session of the exams started around 10:30 am instead of 9:00 am as narrated by one candidate who declined to be named.
“My exams slip indicates that I will start by 9:00, but i didn’t start till 10:30,” she claimed.
The manager of the centre, Sani Muhammad, said candidates were directed to arrive one hour to the scheduled time so they could be screened and accredited.
“The first session candidates were asked to come by 7 a.m. and their exams will start by 8:00 am and the span of exams is two hours. It takes thirty minutes to accredit candidates.”
A PREMIUM TIMES reporter in Kano found that the third session of the exams in Vitae Computer Institute, Club Road, Kano scheduled to commence by 1:00 p.m did not start till 2:00 p.m due to network problems.
A candidate who sat in the second session complained that the system failed to recognise his registration until after about 20 minutes.
“When I supplied my registration number, the computer system rejected my number. I complained to one of the staff, it took him almost 20 minutes before he rectified the problem. And they kept putting pressure on candidates to submit. I have 20 questions and about 15 minutes left, when i submitted ,” he said.
A manager in the centre who does not want her name in print said the delay was due to lack of network access to JAMB headquarters.
She denied putting pressure on candidates to submit their exams, noting that all were allowed to submit at their own will as the system timing is programmed, saying when the time is exhausted the computer logs out.
On Friday, the Kano Zonal coordinator, Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB) Karimatu Abubakar, said the board has created a special centre for visually impaired candidates in Kano.
She said the centre is designed to accommodate candidates from Northern states at Aminu Kano Centre for Democratic Research and Training, Mambayya House.
“I am proud to say JAMB is being inclusive. The Board has made proper and adequate arrangements for visually impaired candidates. They are going to write their exams separately, and they would be provided with basic materials.
“Kano is the centre of all visually impaired candidates from Northern Nigeria. Kano alone has fifty candidates,” she said.
She said over seven thousand candidates are expected to write their exams in twenty-nine CBT centres across Kano State this year.
“We have 29 CBT centres in Kano. Out of this four are in Wudil, two are in Bichi and one in is in Dambatta local government. Meaning that seven CBT centres are outside Kano metropolis. The rest are within Kano Municipal.
“We are expecting about seven thousand candidates to write the exams in Kano State. We run the exams in sessions, morning, mid-day and afternoon sessions,” she added.
Latest Nigeria News
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku
- Pressure Mounts On Hubby To Dump Ini Edo
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Are Tribal Marks Still Necessary Today?